1.5kg clean mussels
1 onion sliced
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
200 g sliced smoked bacon (or unsmoked)
20 g butter
400 ml Irish cider
4 tablespoons fresh cream
A big handful of chopped fresh parsley
1 pinch salt
1 pinch freshly ground pepper
- Brown the slices of smoked bacon on high heat.
- Melt a knob of butter, add the onion and garlic, sauté slowly for 3 minutes to soften the onion.
- Add the cider and let simmer for a few minutes to allow all the aromas to mix. Put the mussels over, cover and simmer for 4 minutes until the mussels open by shaking the pot vigorously once or twice during cooking.
- Remove from heat, add the cream and parsley, season.
- Serve with fresh bread to sauté.